Ambient light influences detection?

I notice that the Blinks don’t seem to receive signal from their neighbors when ambient light is too bright, eg outdoors or under bright indoor lighting.

I wonder if this can be addressed physically, by building “hoods” or tunnels for the sender/receivers?

1 Like

The developer kits are quite susceptible to ambient IR, the commercial sets correct for this in a number of ways, so we simply try and test games in relatively controlled lighting. I’m curious to hear if there are some clever hacks that could help the dev kits, maybe a simple 3D print?

@jbobrow going off this reply, would you suggest it would be better to test out games in more dark settings overall? I’ve been having trouble testing one of my games and wasn’t really sure what the issue was, but I’ve been testing in places with a lot of ambient lighting

Yeah, lower light settings or less IR tend to be best. Major sources of IR include halogen lights, candles, and sunlight. Led or fluorescent lighting tends to be just fine.

Feel free to also test the latest Dev branch for a slightly different IR protocol (better through the silicone, but might be just as succepitble to the ambient IR)

1 Like