Avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

So, far I have been unable to load anything onto a blink. I have the latest Arduino (v1.8.8) and the latest Blinks Lib (0.9.3beta). I have the latest USBtiny driver for MSWin7 from adafruit, but no luck

I have tried several of the sample programs such as Fracture as well as some simple “hello world” type examples.

It is not a compile issue, the subject line says it all. When I attempt to load, I get the output below.

Any suggestions, would be much appreciated!

======================================================================

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
Copyright © 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright © 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
     Using Programmer              : usbtiny
     Setting bit clk period        : 4.0

avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\.\libusb0-0001–0x1781-0x0c9f
AVR Part : ATmega168PB
Chip Erase delay : 9000 us
PAGEL : PD7
BS2 : PC2
RESET disposition : dedicated
RETRY pulse : SCK
serial program mode : yes
parallel program mode : yes
Timeout : 200
StabDelay : 100
CmdexeDelay : 25
SyncLoops : 32
ByteDelay : 0
PollIndex : 3
PollValue : 0x53
Memory Detail :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
       Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
       ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
       eeprom        65    20     4    0 no        512    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
       flash         65     6   128    0 yes     16384  128    128  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
       lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
       hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
       efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
       lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
       calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
       signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
     Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp

avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Setting SCK period to 4 usec
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9415 (probably m168pb)
avrdude: NOTE: “flash” memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file “C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_748566/Fracture.ino.hex”
avrdude: writing flash (9288 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 9288 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_748566/Fracture.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_748566/Fracture.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_748566/Fracture.ino.hex contains 9288 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% -0.00s

An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: verifying …
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1900
0x41 != 0x51
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done. Thank you

Hi @dxa!

Hmmm… this error means that the byte that was programmed into location 0x1900 in flash memory did not read back as the same value that was written. This could mean…

1. bad programmer connection - like the pogo pins that push down on the board are not making good contact.
  2. Battery to low for reliable flash programming
  3. bad flash memory cell (very unlikely)

Do you always get the exact same mismatch? (i.e. first mismatch at byte 0x1900 0x41 != 0x51)?

Does this happen on multiple blinks? If so, do they all get the same exact mismatch at the same address?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.

So, at first I thought I solved it. I swapped out my USB cable for a fresh one and I was able to program a bunch of different sample games from github (such as Mortals, Fracture, etc.). I loaded up about 7 different Blinks, each with different game sketch files. Tried them out and the all seemed to function. I could transfer games to temp ram on adjacent blinks, and the new code ran has expected. Great! It all works I thought – ha ha not so fast.

Then, I noted a couple of the sketch files I had download had been updated on github, So, I grabbed those to update over the ones I had loaded and bang!, back to square one, I can’t load, same verification issues.

To answer your questions:

1. I am pushing down gently on the pogo pins as recommended elsewhere. If I don’t do that, I get errors about no communication , specifically “invalid device signature”. However, I was able to load initially, so I suspect my connection is good.
  2. I unscrewed the PCB and checked the CR2032 batt with my DMM. Seems fully charged, 3.4V
  3. I agree unlikely as it is happening on all my blinks and not just one

I get different values for the verification error depending on the sketch I am attempting to compile/load

For example, for Mortals, I get

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1800
         0x08 != 0xcf

Whereas for Fracture, I get

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1e00
         0x83 != 0x29

However, this is not consistent across blinks. In otherwords, loading the same sketch on a different blink will result in a verification error at a different memory location but it will always be the same location on that blink when loading that .hex file

So, bad programmer? That seems too easy considering it did work for a whole bunch of blinks in a row until it stopped.

Also, should I have the switch set to powered or unpowered. It was set to “power target” when I got it out of the dev kit, so I just left it there

I’ll let @bigjosh follow up on the mismatch as I would like to recreate this.

A couple of notes that might be helpful

1. setting the switch to unpowered is the way to go (it seems that the switch made its way out in powered and unpowered states, but it should only be in unpowered since the battery is providing the power)
  2. 3.4v on the battery is surprisingly high, I believe they start at 3.3v and spend most of their life between 3v and 2.7v on the low end. This could be an artifact of the powered programming.
  3. If you take out the battery and try programming with the programmer set to powered, does that work? This would point to a bad battery.

Looking forward to figuring this one out :slight_smile:

@jbobrow, thanks for your help.

In answer to your questions:

1. I have the switch set to unpowered now, and that makes sense if the onboard power is being used for programming the flash. But it makes no difference, same errors. As an FYI, I was able to program the first bunch with it set to powered.
  2. 3.4V is a typo, should have been 3.3V.
  3. No difference with the battery out, still get verification errors

@bigjosh, @jbobrow,
An update on verification errors. After closer inspection and performing several attempts in a row, I noticed that the memory location of the errors do vary from time to time.

I even tried sending an empty sketch to the blink (just setup() & loop()) just to see if I could get the 0.9.3 bios onto it and I still get errors. How would I know if my tinyISP is bad? It seems like the fact that I am getting errors even with the smallest code that it might be hardware.

Hmmm… Could be this problem?..

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=135195.0

Let’s check! Can you edit line #126 in the platform.txt in the hardware/avr directory where you installed the blinks library?

tools.avrdude.upload.pattern="{cmd.path}" "-C{config.path}" -B 4 {upload.verbose} {upload.verify} -p{build.mcu} -cusbtiny "-Uflash:w:{build.path}/{build.project_name}.hex:i" "-Uflash:w:{runtime.platform.path}/cores/blinklib/shared/BlinkBIOS.hex:i" "-Uefuse:w:0xf8:m" -u

TO:
tools.avrdude.upload.pattern="{cmd.path}" "-C{config.path}" -B 4 {upload.verbose} {upload.verify} -p{build.mcu} -cusbtiny -e "-Uflash:w:{build.path}/{build.project_name}.hex:i" "-Uflash:w:{runtime.platform.path}/cores/blinklib/shared/BlinkBIOS.hex:i" "-Uefuse:w:0xf8:m" -u

(there is an extra -e in the middle there)

Then quit out the Arduinio IDE, restart, and try uploading a sketch using the Upload button?

Please report back with what happens!

If it still fails, can you copy/paste the contents of entire bottom build window here?

Thanks!

-josh

Sure, no problem. I made the change, quit and restarted. Same issue. Below is the full output.

-D

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Windows 7), Board: "Blink"

C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware -tools C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\tools-builder -tools C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sysadmin\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=BlinkOS_0.9.3b:avr:blink -ide-version=10808 -build-path C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415026 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_172837 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\Blinks\Fracture\Fracture.ino
C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware -tools C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\tools-builder -tools C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\tools\avr -built-in-libraries C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\libraries -libraries C:\Users\Sysadmin\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=BlinkOS_0.9.3b:avr:blink -ide-version=10808 -build-path C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415026 -warnings=default -build-cache C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_172837 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\Blinks\Fracture\Fracture.ino
Using board 'blink' from platform in folder: C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr
Using core 'blinklib' from platform in folder: C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr
Detecting libraries used...
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\sketch\\Fracture.ino.cpp" -o nul
Generating function prototypes...
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -flto -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\sketch\\Fracture.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\tools-builder\\ctags\\5.8-arduino11/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
Compiling sketch...
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\sketch\\Fracture.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\sketch\\Fracture.ino.cpp.o"
Compiling libraries...
Compiling core...
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -c -g -x assembler-with-cpp -flto -MMD -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib\\startup.S" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\startup.S.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib\\Print.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\Print.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib\\blinklib.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\blinklib.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib\\Serial.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\Serial.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib\\main.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\main.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib\\sp.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\sp.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10808 -DARDUINO_AVR_BLINK -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib" "-IC:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\variants\\standard" "C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr\\cores\\blinklib\\Timer.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\Timer.cpp.o"
C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr\cores\blinklib\main.cpp:35:2: warning: #warning debug [-Wcpp]

#warning debug

^

C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr\cores\blinklib\blinklib.cpp:267:6: warning: #warning  [-Wcpp]

#warning

^

C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr\cores\blinklib\blinklib.cpp:384:2: warning: #warning debug [-Wcpp]

#warning debug

^

C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr\cores\blinklib\blinklib.cpp:1018:2: warning: #warning debug [-Wcpp]

#warning debug

^

C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr\cores\blinklib\blinklib.cpp:1020:0: warning: "SP_TX_NOW" redefined

#define SP_TX_NOW(x) ( _SFR_MEM8(0xc6 ) = x )                                                                        // Write to UDR0 Serial port data register

^

C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr\cores\blinklib\blinklib.cpp:388:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define SP_TX_NOW(x) ( _SFR_MEM8X(0xc6 ) = x )

^

"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc-ar" rcs "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\Print.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc-ar" rcs "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\Serial.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc-ar" rcs "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\Timer.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc-ar" rcs "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\blinklib.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc-ar" rcs "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\main.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc-ar" rcs "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\sp.cpp.o"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc-ar" rcs "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\core.a" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\core\\startup.S.o"
Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_172837\core\core_BlinkOS_0.9.3b_avr_blink_08c195b96fa3dacb9db2a56cf681c15a.a
Linking everything together...
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -Os -g -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=atmega168pb "-Wl,--script=C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\\avr/linkscripts/avr5.xn" -nostartfiles -o "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.elf" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026\\sketch\\Fracture.ino.cpp.o" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026/core\\core.a" "-LC:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026" -lm
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.elf" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.eep"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-objcopy" --change-addresses 0x1700 -O ihex -R .eepromm "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.elf" "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.hex"
"C:\\Apps\\arduino-1.8.8\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-size" -A "C:\\Users\\Sysadmin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.elf"
Sketch uses 4242 bytes (72%) of program storage space. Maximum is 5888 bytes.
Global variables use 458 bytes (22%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1590 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -B 4 -v -patmega168pb -cusbtiny -e -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.hex:i -Uflash:w:C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\BlinkOS_0.9.3b\avr/cores/blinklib/shared/BlinkBIOS.hex:i -Uefuse:w:0xf8:m -u 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20171130
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Apps\arduino-1.8.8\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbtiny
         Setting bit clk period        : 4.0
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: bus-0:\\.\libusb0-0001--0x1781-0x0c9f
         AVR Part                      : ATmega168PB
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no        512    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     16384  128    128  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
         Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, https://learn.adafruit.com/usbtinyisp
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9415 (probably m168pb)
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (10142 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 10142 bytes of flash written
avrdude: verifying flash memory against C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.hex:
avrdude: load data flash data from input file C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.hex:
avrdude: input file C:\Users\Sysadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_415026/Fracture.ino.hex contains 10142 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x2080
         0xc8 != 0x10
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done.  Thank you.

the selected serial port 
 does not exist or your board is not connected

Very curious, @dxa, check your personal messages, we’ll see what other steps we can take to get this up and running again.

As a note to future people getting this issue:

One possible way to get this kind of error is uploading a sketch that is very close to the size limit. For example, I consistently get it when trying to upload a 5886 byte sketch (official blinklib). In my case, the specific error I get consistently includes:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x2e00

0x00 != 0x0a

Smaller binaries verify just fine.

In short, the given size limit is inaccurate–try not to get anywhere close to it.

1 Like