Blink examples not compiling (other Arduinos work fine)

I am having this error when compiling (not uploading) code. I am able to compile and program multiple other flavors of Arduino and ESP8266 with this particular Arduino IDE, this error seems specific to the Blinks. I notice in the error that it is looking for “avr-g++” so perhaps it is a typo somewhere in the Blinks code?

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: “Blinks Tile”

Build options changed, rebuilding all
fork/exec /Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++: no such file or directory
Error compiling for board Blinks Tile.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences

I notice that avr-g++ is referenced in /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/platform.txt

Is it possible that this is the source of the error?

Can you enable verbose mode and share a screenshot?

Here’s what I get with verbose mode. I note that the error still references a missing file “avr-g++” which certainly does not exist.

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Mac OS X), Board: “Blinks Tile”

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages -hardware /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=Move38-Blinks-Library:avr:tile -ide-version=10807 -build-path /var/folders/f_/q95n1bwx6fvcg4w44r388mnh0000gq/T/arduino_build_784911 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/f_/q95n1bwx6fvcg4w44r388mnh0000gq/T/arduino_cache_809078 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/libraries/Examples01/examples/A-BareMinimum/A-BareMinimum.ino
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware -hardware /Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages -hardware /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder -tools /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr -tools /Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages -built-in-libraries /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries -libraries /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=Move38-Blinks-Library:avr:tile -ide-version=10807 -build-path /var/folders/f_/q95n1bwx6fvcg4w44r388mnh0000gq/T/arduino_build_784911 -warnings=none -build-cache /var/folders/f_/q95n1bwx6fvcg4w44r388mnh0000gq/T/arduino_cache_809078 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/libraries/Examples01/examples/A-BareMinimum/A-BareMinimum.ino
Using board ‘tile’ from platform in folder: /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr
Using core ‘blinkcore’ from platform in folder: /Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr
Detecting libraries used…
/Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=4000000L -DARDUINO=10807 -DARDUINO_AVR_Blink -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/cores/blinkcore -I/Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/variants/standard /var/folders/f_/q95n1bwx6fvcg4w44r388mnh0000gq/T/arduino_build_784911/sketch/A-BareMinimum.ino.cpp -o /dev/null
fork/exec /Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++: no such file or directory
Error compiling for board Blinks Tile.

This might be useful: on another Mac, compilation for blinks works, and it is referencing:

“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=4000000L -DARDUINO=10805 -DARDUINO_AVR_Blink -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Users/gian/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/cores/blinkcore” “-I/Users/gian/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/variants/standard” "-

Instead of

/Users/gianpablo/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino5/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega168pb -DF_CPU=4000000L -DARDUINO=10807 -DARDUINO_AVR_Blink -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -I/Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/cores/blinkcore -I/Users/gianpablo/Dropbox/Arduino/hardware/Move38-Blinks-Library/avr/variants/standard

@gpvillamil, it’s great that you have it running on another machine. I would love to know what might have been different in setup on the original machine. This one isn’t obvious to me from your description so far.

After a bit of digging, I am thinking this might be an issue with one of your other boards (i.e. ESP8266… in the device manager becoming corrupt…) The common suggestion is to delete Arduino, Restart, and Re-install Arduino. Check out these two answers in the Arduino forum [1] [2]

Let us know if that works for you.

best,
jb

I think you’re right. The ESP8266 board package might be causing a problem. On the Arduino forum they also suggest removing the AVR board and reverting to the built-in configuration.

Aside from this (which is not a Blinks issue), everything is working great.

Removing the Arduino IDE and its Library folder, then reinstalling, has the Blinks working again. Now I need to see if I can reinstall ESP8266 support. If it breaks again then I’ll have to use two machines…

1 Like

:sunny: :blush: :sunny:

Quick update here. After zeroing out the Arduino install, installing Blinks and then the ESP8266 board support, everything is now working.

Arduino, Blinks and ESP8266 sketches all compile.

(You should consider a future version of Blinks with ESP8266, consider what WiFi would do…)

1 Like