Games in active development

We’ll use this thread to be quick access to games in development. Reply with the games you are working on so others can follow along. Please follow the common format below:

Game Title download zip source code
Fracture latest view/edit
Mortals latest view/edit
Berry latest view/edit
Bomb Brigade latest view/edit
WHAM! latest2 view/edit
Puzzle 101 latest view/edit
Speed Racer latest12 view/edit
Zen Flow latest view/edit
Honey latest view/edit
Astro latest view/edit
Flic Flop latest view/edit
Widgets latest view/edit
Boss Fight latest view/edit

We’ll continue to update this table, but follow the table structure for your own games and we’ll play along! :smile:

1 instructions for game play is alpha at best…
2 solitary game, enjoy by yourself or with fans :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Hi there,

here is my game:

Game Title: Dice
Zip: https://github.com/KhaosCoders/blinks-dice/archive/master.zip
Code: https://github.com/KhaosCoders/blinks-dice

I hope this post is correct… :wink:

1 Like

Just looked through the code on mobile and it looks great. I’ll load it up tonight and give it a play :slight_smile: very clear comments and good code structure, your inclusion of isAlone acknowledgment should eventually become not necessary, eapecially with the new hardware, but is smart for the time being!

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago, I had a bunch of fun playing dice in the airport at PDX.

A few of things I specifically appreciated: Smart-dice color updates when you add new players to have unique colors for each player. It’s quite magical to see ties across the table. Game play waiting to start until each player connected has rolled. This get’s my head thinking about automated dice games or chain reaction dice games that could be a lot of fun.

One note is that our list of games in active development has been updated at the top of this post. Feel free to try some of them out (my current favorite is Astro Miner :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

I thought of this really simple idea, and knew it had to be my first blinks contribution. (I haven’t seen one yet, but I hope there isn’t one like it already!)

I’m calling it Takeover. It plays 2-6 players, and should (hopefully) be a bit on the strategic side. (Though it’s more of a race, really.) I’ve only playtested a few times, and not (yet) with more than 2 players, so it could certainly use more!

Here’s the source/download: https://github.com/mgrider/takeover / (.zip)

I’d definitely love to hear any feedback!
-martin

Just loaded it up before getting on a plane flight, takeover on takeoff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really loving this. Took a moment to wrap my head around legal moves, but think I have a pretty good understanding. Currently playing 2 player with 6 Blinks, x=1 and then we face off. I have a feeling that player 1 has a slight advantage, but not certain yet. It has a lot of similarities to Berry but expands to multiplayer nicely. I like the shift of offensive and defensive play and looking forward to playing with some friends that are interested in really digging in.

One quick question. I am playing that any piece on the table can be moved so long as it doesn’t break the board into more than 2 parts. Pieces do not have to be slid into place, so pulling a piece out from the middle or dropping one in is legal. @martin Is this how you have been playing?

Also, I feel like I have a strong opening strategy, but that is all so far.

Oh and the end game win state is so clean to implement for this game, it works great and I do understand your todo for revealing the board state, which I can imagine animating in a handful of elegant ways. It is also tempting to have a piece remember its previous states, perhaps for replay… or serial dump of games :slight_smile:

takeover-play-5fps

1 Like

Glad you’re liking it! :slight_smile:

I’ve only played a couple of 1v1 games. (And yeah, 1st player might have too much advantage, I haven’t done enough analysis yet. Playing X=2 maybe helped mitigate? Not sure.)

Played and observed a bunch of 4 and 5 player games while I had my family over for Xmas stuff, and those definitely felt fun. Only number that didn’t really seem to work was 3, especially with 3 empty starting blinks (too prone to king making).

Movement rules have been exactly how you describe. I did try it where pieces with 4 or 5 around them can’t be moved, and that felt okay too.

I started a thread for Takeover notes / discussion here: Takeover – Game Design & Discussion

1 Like

I guess I can technically share this here now…

“QuickMatch” (working title) is the first game I came up with as I eagerly awaited for my blinks dev kit to arrive in the mail. It’s a reflex-based competitive game for 2 players (hopefully 3 by the time it’s finished) The idea is simple: be the first player to press the buttons of two matching colors.

https://github.com/JRCWest/BlinkBook/tree/dev-branch/QuickMatch

I’ve been working on this game off and on over the last few months. I got it to a playable state, but it’s far from perfect and some (game breaking) bugs are still being ironed out. I’m also not the greatest programmer, so if anyone takes a peek at the source code and has some suggestions for what I can do better, please let me know!

EDIT: I should mention that the most up-to-date code is in dev-branch. I have yet to move everything over to master.

Hey Jon!

We played your game in the office for a bit, and we’re really interested by the idea. We definitely encountered some of the bugs you mentioned, but looking through the code it seems like something that could be ironed out.

What’s interesting to think about, for me, is if this could be done without the “referee” blink. Have you thought about how you might do this in a way that distributes that responsibility? There are a few of the release games (WHAM and Puzzle mostly) that deal with this concept in some different ways. They might be worth checking out.

Keep it up! If you have any specific questions as you’re squashing bugs, just ping me and I’ll see if I can help.

~Dan

2 Likes

@danking222 Thanks for checking it out! I wasn’t really sure of how else to handle the score handling without some kind of “referee”, but if there are other methods used in the games you mentioned I’ll definitely check them out. I’ve re-written this code so many times to try to get the game stable, so I’m definitely open to new solutions.

If I have any questions I’ll hit you up. Thanks for the pointers!

For what it’s worth, I fixed up the game to be much more stable. It’s still using the “referee” method, but I’m going to look into alternatives to make sure the game is more robust.

You can give it a try on the master branch. Please give it a go and let me know if you have any suggestions or feedback for me!

In the mean time, I’m starting work on a new (and hopefully simpler) game. Ill share it here when its closer to being finished.

1 Like

Hey @danking222 (or anyone else who has tried QuickMatch), when you tried out my game, did you try it on a production set of blinks, with stronger magnets? One thing I failed to consider when I made the game initially was how much weaker the beta dev kit magnets were when you place the sleeves on them. What ultimately resulted was a game that fell apart way too much to really be much fun.

We did play it on production Blinks, yeah. It definitely held together well for several rounds, but in the frenzy of pressing we still managed to break the chain eventually.

Thats good to hear it at least lasted for several rounds. I might look into ways that I could incorporate tile-breaking into the game design, or maybe find another way to measure button press times independently to determine who wins a game. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like