Arduino Board Manager Permission Denied Error

Hello!

I purchased a dev kit awhile ago and am trying to follow these Getting Started instructions, but I keep getting an error.

I’m running on a M1 Mac with MacOS Monterey which I’m worried might be part of the issue.

I already had Arduino IDE installed, and I was able to add the Additional Board Managers URL under preferences. However, when I opened the Board Manager and clicked install for the Blinks board I got this error.

Tool arduino:avr-gcc@7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5 already installed
Tool arduino:avrdude@6.3.0-arduino17 already installed
Downloading packages
move38:avr@1.3.0
Installing platform move38:avr@1.3.0
Failed to install platform: move38:avr.
Error: 13 INTERNAL: Cannot install platform: installing platform move38:avr@1.3.0: extracting archive: Create file /Users/inspire/Library/Arduino15/tmp/package-2430637787/Move38-Arduino-Platform/libraries/Examples05/BrokenRainbow/Broken Rainbow Map.png: open /Users/inspire/Library/Arduino15/tmp/package-2430637787/Move38-Arduino-Platform/libraries/Examples05/BrokenRainbow/Broken Rainbow Map.png: permission denied

I’m currently on my primary user account which should be the admin. I’ve tried to find a way to manually install the board in Arduino but I’m struggling with it.

Does anyone know what this error is about and how to fix it? It looks like it’s a permissions issue but, as far as I can tell, I have read & write permission for each folder in the chain. I’m not sure what else to do.

Otherwise, does anyone have a good guide for manually installing the board?

Any insight would be helpful! Thanks.

Guess I posted a little early. I solved my problem.

I was able to manually install the board files by downloading them from the GitHub, and dropping them into a folder under

/Users/inspire/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/Move38-manual

This got the board to show up under Tools → Boards and from there everything else went smoothly. These were the final instructions that helped me figure it out. Scroll down to “Board platforms and cores” to find the part that I followed.

I’m excited to finally fully dive into these things.

-NerdGeek42

3 Likes