Blinks as mouse?

Sorry for creating topics so often, every now and then I get a ton of ideas then I run out for a while.

Would it be possible to set up seven blinks in a circle pattern, and send the signals for a mouse back the computer (via the USB/serial cable)? I have gotten into dos games lately and a load of them are controller with just one mouse button and nothing else, and it would be insanely cool to play games on the computer with blinks.

2 Likes

The serial port does allow serial messages to be sent to and from the computer via USB. There is a nice example of using a key on the keyboard to set colors on a dev Blink. I haven’t seen anyone have a Blink emulate an HMI Device such as a mouse, but depending on your use case, it might be sufficient to simply read some simple serial messages.

I think I would have to program my own driver for it which I do not know how to do yet, but in that case maybe I will look into it when I need to make something extremely complicated (and once I’ve got better at c++).

You might be able to use something like ACC Keys to convert serial commands coming in from the Blink into keystrokes and mouse actions on the computer…

https://aacinstitute.org/aac-keys/

1 Like

Will it be able to do it through a USB port? Correct me if I’m wrong but the blinks connect to serial via a board connected by USB. Other than that, yeah that could definitely work!

Yes, the blink USB dev board looks like a serial port to the computer.

Ah ok. Going computerless for a couple days, when I get back I’ll try to get it working!