New Game: SlugFest

In a post-apocalyptic future, slugs have mutated into enormous beasts that humans were quick to tame and weaponize to survive the new wasteland. Luckily the slugs’ favorite food, mushrooms also mutated and grew, so these massive mushrooms are often the site of legendary showdowns between battle-ready, mutant slug teams! Slug bodies are armed with manned A-Salt cannons, that fire huge rocks of salt at enemy slugs. In SlugFest, you play as a slug squad in one such battle!

Note: compiled with @BGA’s custom library

9 Likes

I like it. Congratulations!

I have 2 suggestions related to the custom blinklib:

1 - If your code does not compile with the official blinklib (either due to size or to requiring some other feature only present in it) you might want to add this to the top of your sketch file:

#ifndef BGA_CUSTOM_BLINKLIB
#error "This code requires a custom blinklib. See https://github.com/brunoga/blinklib/releases/latest"
#endif

This will tell anyone who tries to compile it with the official blinklib why it is not working.

2 - If you disable datagrams completely (as you are not using them), you can save another 4% of storage (putting your game at 87% (from 91%). In case you want to spicy-up your animations. :slight_smile:

To do that, just create a “config” directory inside your sketch folder. Inside this folder, add a “blinklib_config.h” file with the following contents:

#define BGA_CUSTOM_BLINKLIB_DISABLE_DATAGRAM

And that is all that is needed. Next time you recompile you will see the storage space improvement.

4 Likes

yeah, I’ll definitely add that error log for people, but I’m kind of waiting to see how open to custom libraries Jon gets before I get more dependent on them. As it is right now, I COULD gut the game of animations and make it work on the core library. As I mentioned in another post, I’m at a halfway point, where I could either be all in on the custom library and spice the game up, or trim things out and work with the core.

2 Likes

That is totally reasonable. I only mentioned all this because you do say it has to be compiled with the custom blinklib in your post.

2 Likes

@BGA I added that error code in case anyone has issues compiling, it should help. Thanks again.

Awesome!!

Is nice to see more people is adding a comic strip to github :grinning:
Love the artwork, waiting to try it once i receive my blinks!!!

2 Likes

@Confus3d Thanks. Although I can’t take credit for the artwork. A co-worker and good friend of mine happens to be a UI/UX designer and also a regular game night guest. I introduced him to Blinks and told him I was working on some game ideas. We (completely sober) came up with this storyline and he drew all the little characters and storyline comic that I needed. I fell in love with the comic in “The Hunt” and felt a crazy storyline like mine could use a visual aid.

4 Likes

After some awesome game nights and playtesting, I have noticed a couple (possibly related) bugs. Nothing will put the game into a state it can’t get out of with a reset, but still some things I’m currently working on.

Known issues:

1. If one of the sides only has one single blink on it, sometimes the active player turn won’t change when the round should be done.
  2. The game will not warn you if you have an incorrect setup or if your pieces detach. (not really a bug, but an improvement that I’m working on)
  3. (one-timer) doesn’t happen often, but sometimes the win animation will not trigger. (bummer, because it’s pretty cool)
  4. (very one-timer) happens once in a blue moon, but sometimes the setup won’t complete and you have to do it again. (could be related to 3)

I’m going to be working on these, and also possibly improving the attack sequence animation a bit. If anyone of you see anything sticking out as problematic in the code, or if you have advice on saving memory, let me know. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks!

3 Likes

Had some time to address what seemed to be a race condition and possibly some slow or dropped communication issues. 3 might be fixed, as I haven’t seen it, but it’s not tested, yet.

Again, any suggestions on saving memory space, would be great.

Thanks

Looking forward to trying these on my Blinks when I get home Dudepants.

The name and logo reminded me of SlugFest Game: https://slugfestgames.com/
Just in case you want to make any changes now haha.

1 Like

Lol omg I would have never found that. I’m thinking that’s obscure enough to not matter too much. Thanks for finding that, though. Also thanks for testing it out. It’s still in the tweak phase, so let me know if you have any feedback.

1 Like

No problem. They’re pretty popular to me, but that might be because I’m a huge fan of there’s haha.
If you like party games, bluffing, and a bit of card tactics you should give it a try!

I’ll let you know what I think. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re on discord, check out some of the pics of people’s game collections. There are some HUGE game nuts on there. I have a decent collection of stuff I’ve backed on Kickstarter. I always liked IELLO games. They have solid KS campaigns, too.

1 Like

I just joined! Oh damn I can imagine. I’ll have to compare game shelves lol.
I’m also a somewhat frequent Kickstarter backer.

Ahhh! I own Welcome to the Dungeon and its expansion.

Never played King of Tokyo or Decrypto but have wanted to.

Some new improvements based on designer and gameplay feedback (game nights are perfect for playtesting)

• Explosion animation is improved for both normal and regular hits (designer friend made it up, I just coded it, so can’t take credit…looks really cool, though)

• Errors are now shown on the incorrect face when blinks are taken apart from their initial and correct setup formation. (Before they just pulsed red and wouldn’t really be that helpful)

• The turn timer now scales exactly with the team sizes and attack type, so you can immediately get your revenge without having to wait to become the active player :slight_smile: (this one came directly from playtesting in the wild on a game night)

• Attack animation is much more user friendly by taking up the front three faces instead of just one…much easier to see now.

The only thing remaining is to get a feel for how polished it is and then use the remaining memory space for some sort of a win animation on the mushroom. After being blown away with how awesome the games from the Epic Adventure set look, I MIGHT want to improve my setup look, so that could take up some of my precious space…we’ll see.

Anyway, please test away and have fun, it’s functionally complete and maybe just a few graphics/animations from done, so it’s sure to add some fun to any of your game nights. Let me know what you guys think.

The images in the rules might be a LITTLE different, but the rules are all the same.

3 Likes

Pretty minor, but I added a fun little “munching” animation for the winning slug on the mushroom piece when one of the sides wins. I know some of you have already downloaded it for playtesting, so you may want to reinstall it for this added little polish. I had a little space for it and I think it adds to the fun.

Also, be on the lookout, I have another game ready to go that I just haven’t made public, yet. Instead of a head-to-head, Tiger hand-held style game like Slugfest, it’s much more of a party game for 3+ players with a different mode that optimizes for 6+ players. So it’ll have a similar fun and quirky design and storyline, but a very different style of gameplay.

3 Likes

@L.C Thanks a ton for the awesome QA work! There was an issue that was especially noticeable in 1v1 games (not recommended, fun-wise, but still allowed) where the signals were coming back to the mushroom too fast and messages were getting skipped. Some message queue streamlining and a small delay timer later, and now the comms are running smoothly, even in 1v1.

Thanks @L.C and discord for the tips and feedback.

Please update, if you have it flashed on one of your Blinks. :slight_smile:

1 Like