New Game: Zomblinks

Set a goal for myself to have a game ready by the week of Thanksgiving to play with the family, so I’m sharing my first pass at something playable: Zomblinks.

Construct a post-apocalyptic battlescape, add a player (or players), activate zombie spawners, and try to fend off the impending horde of shambling zombies with your trusty pistol (and currently unlimited bullets).

https://github.com/cdillonmh/Zomblinks

This grew out of an experiment to teach myself to use bit-shifting and enums by cramming as much as I could into the basic 6-bit communication. Note that my original game idea was pvp tank combat, and there’s a lot of code that still references those old concepts. During testing I built a simple AI enemy, found that was more fun, and zombies seemed a pretty obvious theme from there.

It almost certainly needs a lot of work in game balance, and probably has plenty of bugs and edge-case issues that I haven’t discovered, but it works well enough that I’m happy to share it with you all. I’m aware the code is pretty hacked together right now, and animations are basically non-existant, but I welcome any suggestions or feedback on how the game could be improved.

Future plans include limited ammo, ammo spawns, and a game reset feature. With space freed by extra features that have been cut, I think I can still squeeze these in without having to resort to datagrams or a modified Blinklib.

3 Likes

Just loaded it up and played around with it. I look forward to your progress!

I wasn’t able to get any zombies to spawn from the spawner, but I could move and shoot the spawner. I love the bullet effect. Keep it up!