Product Wishlist

Got something you wish Blinks could do and think it’s possible? This is the place to let us know!

The ribbon cable between the ISP and jig has a 2x5 pin connector, and the cable continues onto the 2x3 connector. Is it possible to extend the 2x5 to another 2x3 (new ribbon cable w/ connectors) that could be used to connect to another jig for parallel flashing? Ken

To allow for parallel programming, the programmer would need to be a little more sophisticated than simply running the same 6 pins(VCC, GND, MOSI, MISO, SCK, RST). There are gang programmers and a number of ways to make them, but I imagine your main interest is to allow you to update all of your Blinks with less manual labor. For that, I have detailed the solution we are working towards here.

Right, of course, the update protocol itself would have to accommodate parallel programming (more than electrically connecting)… (shaking my head now on what was i thinking). Look forward to shortening the code-test-debug cycle.

Sound would be great. even if not polyphonic.
Vibration would be cool but it probably would drain the battery fast
usb/induction charging which would allow vibration feature as battery would not be an issue anymore

1 Like

Top of my head wishlist:

• Sound - Beeps and boops are better than nothing
  • Better neighbor light shielding - Light spilling from segment to segment is pretty high and detracts from the useable color range
  • Seventh, center light - A seventh light in the center of the tile would be pretty useful for some games, I think

I also like the ideas for vibration and an embedded rechargeable battery.

2 Likes

I second all of these in this order:

1. Light shielding
  2. Center light
  3. Sound
  4. Induction charging (although it would not be good if one would have to replace a Blink once the rechargeable battery inevitably loses its charge)
  5. Vibration (unless this means one has to charge the blinks too often. Battery life is key! Things like this don’t get played with if they aren’t ready to go whenever you feel like playing. Nothing is a more annoying/demotivating interaction than having to first charge something before you can use it.)
1 Like

BTW, I am now using a new prototype speed-dev blink that lets you vastly speed up your dev cycles! It is a special blink with the programming cable permanently attached, so you never have to fiddle with batteries or pogo pins.

There is also a new version of the firmware that automatically starts a download seed after the blink is programmed, so it is possible to hit the "upload’ button in the Arduino IDE and have a group of blinks running your fresh code a few seconds later without touching anything. It has made me significantly more productive.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and have a blink you are willing to cut the rubber top off of, then you can make one of these now. LMK if you want more info!

1 Like

For anyone looking for a hacking project, it is possible to add sound and/or vibration to a blink with with a tiny bit of soldering. It involves attaching a tiny speaker or vibration motor to one of the debug port pins, and then writing code to drive it.

I am guessing this request is really for all blinks to have sound and/or vibration, but if you just want to play around or you have a specific thing you are thing to make happen, this could be a way to get there.

1 Like