Welcome Dev Kit v.10.2020

Hi Devs!

For many of you, this will be your first time to the forum and first time developing with Blinks. We’re really excited to have you here and so excited that you have our new developer kits in hand. We’ve put a lot of time and care into these tools and while they will continue to evolve and get even better, we think these new developer kits are kinda the bees knees :).

If what you have received looks like the following image, you are holding a Blinks Dev Kit v.10.2020

Check out this video that I made to get up and running quickly!

To get started with your development process, you have likely arrived here by visiting:
https://move38.com/letsdothis

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 4.21.46 PM

If you are having any trouble getting started, don’t hesitate to reach out here or support@move38.com

all my best,
Jonathan

9 Likes

That was a super helpful post and video! Are you going to create a second video that shows how to use the serial debugging tool included in the box? Thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks @Freddicus, Definitely a part II coming up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great video, very helpful.

One note: my Blanks all had a little clear plastic cover over the contacts for programming in the battery well, this needs to be removed and then everything works.

Is it worth trying to replace the little cover after programming? Doesn’t seem to make any difference for now.

1 Like

It is an extra layer of protection against short circuits, but I would not bother.

2 Likes

I can confirm that no one at Move38 has short circuited a Blink by not having the cover beneath the battery, (now multiple years of active use) but this does not mean it can’t happen, just very unlikely.

1 Like

Got it, makes sense. Perhaps add a note that the little cover needs to come off before attempting programming?

Hi, I am using windows 10. Was following the beginning steps but get this error when trying to download the color wheel. The selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected. The Blink does light up so there is power. I did try reversing the pins as mentioned in the video. The window drivers says for win 7, 8 and xp. What am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ron

Excellent new on-boarding process. A lot more clear than before.
Great work Jonathan!

1 Like

I just received my Dev Kit and it seems a tad different than this (presumably because it’s a year later than this post). While the packaging is a bit different all of the same main boards are there. I also have a bot title “Developer Tool Cables” which contains 1 tiny molex cable. No USB Cables (no problem I have plenty) and way more problematic no grey connector cable. Ugh. Was I sent a refurb that no one checked? Anyhow I can do nothing with my dev kit until I hear back from the support team and then wait another 4 or 5 days for it to arrive. It’s rather disappointing as I had set aside time tonight to start development.

Hi @OctoPope,

So sorry for this incomplete Developer Kit arriving. We’ll be sure to send you the missing cables first thing tomorrow with 2-day shipping. Looking forward to getting your set complete and offering any help in the process of getting up and running as well!

all my best,
Jonathan

Thanks for the update! If your timing is correct (sent 13th with 2 day shipping) I’m really hopeful it will arrive today or tomorrow.